Holding It Back

For most of my life, I’ve written prolifically. That includes writing stories throughout elementary school, journaling in middle school, and drafting about a novel per year through high school and my first year of college (not to mention a lot of bad poetry, most of it of the love persuasion). I wrote short stories and more poems through college and started a daily fictional blog shortly after graduation that ran for two and a half years. The A Cappella Blog, wrestling columns, freelance work, and a butt load of fiction, poetry, and essays would follow. And this blog.

This blog has now eclipsed 250 posts. It’s another milestone and, lest this all sound like a set up for some grand farewell, rest assured the blog isn't go anywhere just yet. Nor I do I mean to brag--because though I’m proud of the volume of my work and the consistency of my practice, I’d never suggest quantity trumps quality in any artistic endeavor.

I did get to thinking about quantity of ideas, though. I recall points earlier in my writing life when I feared running out of them--writing down what came to me compulsively and trying to hold back on using material one place for fear of not having material left afterward. Indeed, most writers I know will claim to have experienced writer’s block, at least on occasion.

But particularly in the context of this blog, I recall the Flannery O’Connor wisdom that anyone who survived childhood had enough material to write about for a lifetime.

I remember one of my most trusted mentors, Harvey Grossinger, balking at writer’s block as a myth that one need only read good literature for an hour or two get the better of.

I recall a time when my wife off-handedly ask if I ever watch people in public and imagine what their lives might be like and that I couldn’t help but laugh because, of course, that’s what I do most every day; the good musings make it out on the page.

And so it is that I came to a different outlook. There’s no shortage of ideas and not every story has been written. Quite the opposite: a balance of reflection, imagination, reading other stories (both literally and metaphorically) and keeping an open mind means the well of ideas won’t run dry.

There’s no need to hold back.

Comments

Popular Posts